Skip to main content

Back Issues

In the wee hours last Sunday, i woke up with an all-too-familiar and much dreaded ache on my right lower back.  I knew I was going to be walking around like a 70-year-old that day and perhaps for a few days after as well.

Since "the incident" a few years back, when I came out of the gym shower, bent over to pick up my gym bag and my back froze mid-motion, paralyzed, which started 2 weeks of writhing in hell, months of physiotherapy sessions, crazy number of warm compresses and heatpaks, I have been rehabilitating my lower back with Pilates and I swear by it.  Not only does it strengthen the core muscles that help support my spine, after years of practicing it regularly, I can now say that I am more conscious of my posture, the way I sit in the office, the way I walk, the position I adopt while doing chores, etc.  When the pain returns as it sometimes will, I also have a ready supply of advil and bengay to get me through the day.  

So last Sunday, after realizing that I could not turn over on the bed, I calmed myself down, started my pelvic clock exercises and I started to pray.  I knew the relapse was due to the jumpboard class the day before.  Fun at the time, but i had to pay for it later, it was too much for my back.  Thanks to the stretching exercises i learnt in Pilates, the spasms were controlled and I got through the day without too much fuss.  I couldn't sit for long periods of time, had to get up now and again to walk around or lie down to rest but i was still mobile, thank God! I even managed to get to a party in the afternoon.  

By the following Wednesday, I was back on the range hitting some balls. My back was still not 100% but with enough stretching exercises and i was really careful with holding my core while swinging the lightest club I could get my hands on, my back didn't flare up.  

You do not realize how many of our everyday activities require a healthy back until you've injured it. Even going to the loo was a chore.   There is no cure for a bad back.  You can only learn to prevent flare ups and be prepared with the right medication and exercises to soothe it when it does.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3.5 more working days. my mind is on holiday! last evening's kickboxing class totally killed me! i huffed and puffed and threatened to punch my imaginary opponent senseless, but in the end, it was i that suffered, not the air molecules that got knocked around. my body is aching like a 90-year-old who's just completed 100 push-ups. i couldn't sleep last night because of the pain. i had to wake hao-e up to massage my shoulder-blades which were so sore and is still kicking up a ruckus behind me. my gosh! i tis old and feeble.

Back Safe and Sound

This is my first post since we left Bermuda for Singapore more than 3 weeks ago. We are battling serious jet lag this time. it might be the age-factor (yikes!) or because we didn't rest properly on the flights (yes plural!) back cos we were busy trying to exhaust all the new movies on krisworld, or maybe a combination of both lah. but both of us have been trying very hard to keep awake at 3pm. yes, the sleep monster strikes at that hour! thank God we are going to remove time saving tonight, so we have 1 less hour to correct this weekend. talking about movies, twilight was amazingly easy on the eye! although i hesitate to call ourselves twilight converts given that i was highly skeptical at first. but the eye candy in the form of Rob Pattersin/Edward Cullen is really irresistible (did you know Rob Pattersin was Cedric in Harry Potter??) .... argh. i wanna get bitten by this vamp too lor! BITE ME! Hao-e even bought New Moon (the sequal) to read this weekend and i spent almost ...
歌曲:失恋无罪 歌手:黄丽玲 专辑:失恋无罪 作词:林夕 作曲:刘勇志 编曲:冯文甫 你说我对你紧紧跟随 你觉得疲惫 你一句话就逼我撤退 没想到你说最近选择 -个人睡 我忍住眼泪我尊重眼泪 孤独万岁失恋无罪 谁保证一觉醒来有人陪 我对于人性早有预备 还不算太黑 独身万岁失恋无罪 爱不够爱你的人才受罪 用过去悲伤换来自由 难道不珍贵 一个人崩溃 并不是在犯罪 this is a wonderful song by a-lin sang beautifully by 梁文音